How to Remove Mold & Mildew from Hard Surfaces and Keep it From Growing Back

How to clean mold from hard surfaceMolds are organisms that can be found inside and out. They are part of our natural environment. Also called fungi or mildew, molds are neither plants nor animals; they are part of the kingdom Fungi.  Molds multiply by producing microscopic spores (2 – 100 microns [µm] in diameter), similar to the seeds produced by plants.

Mold cannot grow or reproduce without moisture.  The first step in cleaning up any moldy situation is to fix the moisture problem.  This means repairing leaks and sealing.  Sometimes, as in the case of a bathroom shower, it is not possible to stop the moisture exposure but it is still possible to inhibit the growth of the mold by properly cleaning and treating the surfaces.

When cleaning mold, you are concerned with two aspects.  First, killing the mold and second, removing the stains left by the mold.  Many people attempt to do this with liquid chlorine bleach and by accident create and inhale chlorine gas, damaging their lungs.  There is a much easier and safer way!

To clean the mold and remove the mold stain, make a mixture of 1 part TrueClean House Wash to 2 parts hot water and dissolve 4 ounces of Oxy-Boost.  Apply and wait for 15 minutes then scrub and rinse.  If the stain is severe, increase the amount of Oxy-Boost to 6 ounces.  The House Wash will kill the mold spores and the Oxy-Boost will remove the stains.  If the surface is lightly molded, you can use the VitalOxide disinfection spray to get rid of it.

After the surface has been rinsed and dried completely, apply a generous coat of MX-3 Mildew Resistant Sealer to seal and prevent the mold from growing back.  You can apply with a spray bottle, a sponge, a sponge mop, or a pump sprayer set to the “fine” mist.

MX-3 sealer contains an anti-fungal that will provide a mold/mildew resistant coating for a long time.  While MX-3 can be applied directly over molded surfaces to prevent mold growth, it will not remove the stain.  That is why it is always recommended that the House Wash solution or Vital Oxide be used prior to application of MX-3.  If a chlorine-based solution is used to clean the mold, you must wait at least 24 hours before applying MX-3 sealer.

Wishing you the best of health

The Allergy Store

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterest

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *