If you are allergic to dust mites it is easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of information (both true and false) in literature and on the internet. Just as you have to get rid of the clutter in your bedroom, we are going to cut through the dust mite clutter and sort it into dust mite facts and dust mite fictions.
- Dust mites are blind
- They have 8 legs and are related to spiders
- Dust mites have two gripping suckers at the end of each leg
- Dust mites are covered by a hard cuticle that must be shed as it grows
- There are two major species of dust mites (dermatophagoides farinae – commonly known as the North American mite and dermatophagoides pteronyssinus – the European dust mite)
- Dust mites float in water
- A female dermatophagoides far. will lay 1 egg a day for about 30 days.
- The adult dust mite has about 19 to 30 days to reproduce depending on the relative humidity and the temperature of the environment.
- The allergen causing protein is in the gut of the mite and is expelled in its feces.
- Dust mites cannot be seen with the unaided eye. They are microscopic.
- Dust mite body parts and feces are the major component of house dust.
- Dust mites will eat the skin of other mammals if human skin is not available.
- Dust mites love humidity
Dust Mite Fictions
- Dust mites bite
- Dust mites are a sign of a dirty house
- Acaracides are effective in killing dust mites
- You can see dust mites on your bed
- Dust mites live in your heating and ac vents
- Only humans are allergic to dust mites
- Dust mite colonies live in our clothing
- Dust mites can be totally removed from a mattress by vacuuming
- You can outgrow dust mite allergy
- Dust mites cause mange in dogs and cats
- Dust mites are killed by sunlight (just like vampires)
- Dust mites drink your sweat while you sleep
It is important to know the dust mite facts because this knowledge is what will help you in your dust mite battle. If you know the allergen is in the feces and body and that mites float then you know you need to take special steps when washing your bedding. This is why we suggest the use of De-Mite Laundry Additive or Allersearch Allergen Wash in the wash cycle instead of relying on the heat of the dryer to remove allergens.
Another practical application from the dust mite facts is that dust mites will eat the skin from your pets. That means you need to keep your pet’s bedding washed as well as yours.
If you see some type of small insect on your sheets, you know from the dust mite facts that this is not a dust mite. You also know that calling an exterminator is a waste of money for removing dust mites from your home.
Hope this helps clear the air.