Can You Be Allergic to Mosquitoes Bites

Mosquitoes – Can You Be Allergic To Their BitesWe all read about the West Nile Virus breakout in Texas, 43 people died and 510 cases of neuroinvasive West Nile, considered the most serious form of the illness were recorded. We were real careful when we were in Dallas that year.

Thankfully the majority people bitten never get sick on in these extreme cases die. They just itch and scratch like crazy for a few hours. Turns out some people are actually allergic to mosquito’s bites. Their immune system is reacting to the proteins in the mosquito’s saliva just like other peoples do to pollen, molds and pet dander.

Reactions can include skin blisters, hives, bruising and swelling that can last more than a week. In rare situations, some people may experience anaphylaxis or worsening of asthma symptoms after being bitten being bitten by mosquitoes.

We live in South Florida and love to be outside so we are not going to let the mosquitoes stop us. We just take certain steps to limit their ability to munch on us. Even if you are not allergic to mosquitoes, it’s still not good to let them chew on you.

  • Don’t stay outside at dusk because that is when they are the most active.
  • Wear long sleeve shirts, pants and tennis shoes when outside especially when doing yard work. We get attacked when ever we start to trim the bushes. Less skin means fewer places for them to bite.
  • While we are not fans of insect repellent you do need to use it. By wearing protective clothing you don’t have to get as much n your skin. Spray it on your clothes, hands and neck.
  • Don’t wear cologne or perfumes. It attracts them.
  • Dump the standing water. We get water in flower pots, buckets, bird baths, trash cans, toys, etc. If you capture rain water for irrigation use a closed system that keep the mosquitoes from being able to lay their eggs.

Mosquitoes are pretty much everywhere and you will end up getting bitten. They key is to limit how many times.

Till next time

Cheryl

AllergyStore.com

Controlling Allergies Made Easy

Controlling Allergies Made Easy

Allergy control is a very common issue, as more than 50 million people in the U.S. alone are regularly diagnosed with allergies. They are the single biggest cause of doctor’s visits and more prescriptions are written for allergy related medications than for any other kind of medication. With the economy still in a fragile state, spending that kind of money on a regular basis is becoming a real hardship for many.

That’s why preventing allergies by controlling their source is such a vital step. By spending just a few dollars on various allergy control products , you can avoid spending thousands on doctors and medications. It’s a pretty good trade off, especially when it also means that you’ll be able to live allergy free and enjoy your environment instead of having it make you miserable.

Allergies are the result of a malfunction of the immune system that causes the body to respond to harmless proteins as if they were a threat. Once they are identified as a threat, the body begins to produce histamines, resulting in a range of symptoms such as sneezing, wheezing, watery eyes and stuffy nose. It can be a miserable way to live and therefore allergy control can be an important step in improving quality of life for the allergy sufferer.

The most common sources of allergens are certain food products, dust mites, pet dander and pollen. Food products generally cause an adverse reaction when eaten and these types of allergies can be controlled simply by avoiding the food in question. For airborne allergens, it may be necessary to rely on allergy control products to help minimize problems.

There are a number of products available to help with allergy control, including AllerDust spray and De-Mite laundry additive. Products like these work to remove allergens from fiber-rich surfaces. Furniture, carpets, draperies and bedding are the biggest culprits when it comes to the spread of allergens. A quick spray with an anti-allergy product can neutralize the effect of any allergens present.

Using allergy control products in the laundry is another way that you can eliminate dust mites and dander to keep these allergens from spreading. Simply do your laundry as you normally would and add in an allergy fighting additive or laundry detergent  and your clothes and sheets will come out looking and smelling fresh and 100% free of allergens.

Carpets and draperies should be vacuumed once a week to prevent the build-up of allergens and bedclothes should be stripped and washed once a week as well. If you can stay one step ahead when it comes to allergy control, you’ll be much better off in the long run. You’ll feel better and you’ll see the difference in your pocket book as your medical expenses are greatly diminished.

Allergies are something most of us deal with on a regular basis, but they don’t have to take over your life. With just a few small steps and a couple of dollars, you’ll be able to breathe easier knowing your home is allergen free. Don’t take chances with your health, take the smart approach and say goodbye to your allergies for good!

Till next time

Cheryl

How to Remove Mold & Mildew from Hard Surfaces and Keep it From Growing Back

How to clean mold from hard surfaceMolds are organisms that can be found inside and out. They are part of our natural environment. Also called fungi or mildew, molds are neither plants nor animals; they are part of the kingdom Fungi.  Molds multiply by producing microscopic spores (2 – 100 microns [µm] in diameter), similar to the seeds produced by plants.

Mold cannot grow or reproduce without moisture.  The first step in cleaning up any moldy situation is to fix the moisture problem.  This means repairing leaks and sealing.  Sometimes, as in the case of a bathroom shower, it is not possible to stop the moisture exposure but it is still possible to inhibit the growth of the mold by properly cleaning and treating the surfaces.

When cleaning mold, you are concerned with two aspects.  First, killing the mold and second, removing the stains left by the mold.  Many people attempt to do this with liquid chlorine bleach and by accident create and inhale chlorine gas, damaging their lungs.  There is a much easier and safer way!

To clean the mold and remove the mold stain, make a mixture of 1 part TrueClean House Wash to 2 parts hot water and dissolve 4 ounces of Oxy-Boost.  Apply and wait for 15 minutes then scrub and rinse.  If the stain is severe, increase the amount of Oxy-Boost to 6 ounces.  The House Wash will kill the mold spores and the Oxy-Boost will remove the stains.  If the surface is lightly molded, you can use the VitalOxide disinfection spray to get rid of it.

After the surface has been rinsed and dried completely, apply a generous coat of MX-3 Mildew Resistant Sealer to seal and prevent the mold from growing back.  You can apply with a spray bottle, a sponge, a sponge mop, or a pump sprayer set to the “fine” mist.

MX-3 sealer contains an anti-fungal that will provide a mold/mildew resistant coating for a long time.  While MX-3 can be applied directly over molded surfaces to prevent mold growth, it will not remove the stain.  That is why it is always recommended that the House Wash solution or Vital Oxide be used prior to application of MX-3.  If a chlorine-based solution is used to clean the mold, you must wait at least 24 hours before applying MX-3 sealer.

Wishing you the best of health

The Allergy Store